Another adventure of my online dating routine involved
a woman from West Seattle named “Carrie”.
We met online, and bounced several emails back and forth. Her profile seemed impressive, and she seemed
very attractive. Our conversations were
far and greatly spaced, and it seemed like it was going nowhere. I stated bluntly in an email that we both
could find out more about each other in 5 minutes of conversation than we could
through a month of emails. Reluctantly
Carrie accepted my offer to meet up for dinner near Alki where a delicious Thai
restaurant was located.
I showed up a little early, and to my amazement, she
was precisely on time. Her photos did
her justice, because she looked stunning.
Her walk was a bit hurried, and she appeared to be annoyed from the
get-go. I was polite, greeted her, asked
about her day, and what not. Eventually,
she seemed to relax a bit more and loosen up in conversation. Despite this, Carrie retained a bit of a condescending
tone within her voice. I initially
dismissed this as perhaps a form of an assertive personality, but gradually she
became a bit more aggressive in her demeanor.
The fact that the chef got her order wrong didn’t help matters. Carrie appeared to be agitated for some
reason. When I started probing to find
out what was bothering her, she started bringing up stories of her ex-boyfriend. Apparently he was a real charmer, and “nice
guy” only for her to find out later that he was a chronic liar and cheat.
I politely requested that we not start talking about
our exes on our first date. Then things
started turning sour. In her most
high-and-mighty tone, Carrie snipped, “Alright, let’s talk about you, shall we?”
From that point onward, she unleashed a full blown inquisition about extremely
graphic and invasive questions. Many of
these inquiries required clarification in order to answer accurately. I was given no opportunity to gather
such. Any hesitation or request for her
to be more specific as what she meant was seen as a “wrong answer” for
her. One after the other, she bombarded
me with questions, and hardly allowing me to speak in between. “How many women have you slept with? What are their names? Have you ever lied to a woman? Are you lying to me right now? How long did your last relationship
last? What did you do to her since you’re
no longer together? Are you still
together? Who is she?”
At this point I was looking for the “Eject button”
near my seat, but much to my dismay, none existed. As the minutes progressed, Carrie became
increasingly rude, judgmental, and only hearing what she wanted to hear. It got to the point where I got so irritated
and fed up that I had contemplated just standing up, walking out, and leaving
her there with the bill. I nearly felt
justified in doing so with how unpleasant this woman had become over the course
of a half hour. I then saw the waiter,
and asked for the check. The waiter came
by and could tell that things were not going over well. The poor guy thought we were upset because of
the botched order, so he again apologized and insisted upon giving us a complimentary dessert for the mishap. I politely declined because I simply wanted
to leave at this point. My date had
transformed into a snotty little brat that was overly eager to accuse me of all
the crimes of her past boyfriends.
Despite my reluctance to the complimentary dessert, the waiter brought
it by anyways. Thankfully it wasn't elaborate, and shut my date up as she scarfed it down in a refreshing moment of awkward silence.
When the bill came by, it was given to me. I contemplated suggesting that we split the
bill. However, many mental alarms were
blaring inside my head about the calculated risk of an emotionally unstable woman. I had the strong impression that if I were to
make such a request, that she would likely make a public scene of my imagined misogynistic
ways. To avoid further hostility, I signed
for the check, and we left. As I went through the door she
continued walking towards the parking lot without looking back and without
saying a word of gratitude for her free meal.
How can people feel the slightest bit justified in
behaving this way? I didn’t go on
another date for months after this encounter.
No comments:
Post a Comment