I met Rachael at some church function, and I asked her out
on a date. I felt a little weird because
she was really young. I was 26 or 27 and
she was about 21. Not a huge age
difference, but enough where within some conversations you could really tell
there was an age gap. Another factor
worth mentioning was her physical stature.
She was very petite. Tiny little
blond girl, and possibly about 110lbs.
I can’t remember what we did on our first date, but it
wasn’t as memorable as to what happened on our second date. All I remember from our previous date is that
we both seemed to like each other, and we were both excited for another date.
Rachael was roomates with 2 or 3 other girls on campus
housing, and I met a few of them when I picked Rachael up for our second
date. I must have set off one of her
roommate’s “creeper radar” because she
had asked me a few times how old I was, and asked many details about what we
were going to do and where we were going.
The plan was to go visit a friend’s apartment that had a rooftop pool on
the building, and spend some time up there with others at a pool party. After that, we were going to go “shoot the
tube”, and if we had time, perhaps go have a bonfire up in the mountains.
We were off that afternoon, and had fun at the pool
party. I only knew a few people there,
but Rachael seemed to warm up to most people and enjoy socializing. It wasn’t every day you could be swimming on
top of a high building in downtown Salt Lake City! After an hour or two, we left to go “Shoot
the Tube.” This activity is something
that is popular with young people done in the hot summer months. There is a ¼ mile long conduit that runs
underneath I-80 that channels the flow of a creek. The water is typically very cold from the
snowmelt, but during very hot summer days the water is tolerable. Where the creek enters the conduit, aka,
tube, there are large boards that can be placed to dam up the water from
passing under the highway. When you block
off the water for several minutes, the water backs up considerably. When the water achieves a certain level,
someone will release the boards, and a cascade of water will “shoot” people
riding plastic or foam sleds through the tube at a frightening velocity. A fun, cheap waterslide.
We hiked down to where the creek exited the tube, and set
some of our stuff down. We took some
cheap plastic snow sleds up with us to the other side and proceeded to dam up
the water. As the water level slowly
started to build, a few more kids joined in to help keep a good water seal with
the boards. About 15 minutes passed, and
we were about ready to dump the boards.
We all excitedly got in position on our sleds. Rachael sat in front of me on my sled, and
some other friends were ahead of us, along with the new kids at the very
front. Right before we were going to
drop the boards, about 5 extremely heavyset hairy guys barreled down, and took
position right behind us. Before I could
suggest they go up front, they tripped the boards over. It was too late.
A small tsunami of freezing cold water lifted us up, and
accelerated us rapidly down the tube.
Screams echoed and reverberated in the enclosure, partially drowned out
by the crashing sound of water. It was
exhilarating watching the tiny circle of light at the end grow larger and
larger. At the last brief moment when we
exited the tube, there was a rush of hot dry air before hitting the icy cold
swirling pool below. Rachael went under
first, and me right behind her. I tried
my best to push her away from the incoming freight train of hairy biomass
shortly behind. I wasn’t very effective
because it felt like someone dropped a half dozen elephants on my back under
water. My ankle got twisted and bent the
wrong way in the rocks below, and my head got sandwiched between another rock and
some guy’s lower back. I managed to
stumble up and out of the freezing water, gasping for air. As I struggled to regain my balance with my
twisted ankle and dazed state of mind, I looked around frantically for Rachael. I didn’t see her anywhere. The large guys hooted in celebration,
jokingly thanking me for breaking their fall.
Then I saw her, or I saw a golden flicker of light swirling in the pool
below. It had to be Rachael’s hair. I dove in after her. I managed to retrieve her body, and pulled
her to the surface where she coughed and gasped for air. I tried to carry her up the slippery rocks
but my recently twisted ankle and numb extremities made this a bit more
difficult than I imagined, and I was less than graceful in my stumbling.
One of the bigger guys suddenly realized that there was an
emergency, and assisted me carry Rachael to the warm rocks by the shore of the
stream. I wrapped her with a towel, and
she was barely responsive and going into shock with her skin cold to the
touch. I pulled her close to me to
exchange some body heat, since the effort of pulling us to the shore was enough to
get my metabolism kicked into high gear. When Rachael started coming around
more, she pulled me closer for more heat.
I noticed she might have a cut on her head because I saw blood. When I wiped it away I realized the the blood was actually mine. I had a small but deep cut
on my under arm, and several more cuts on my twisted ankle and leg. My skin was either still too numb to care, or the adrenaline was too intense for me to notice minor pains involving cuts. Panic started to subside as Rachael started
feeling better, and we waited around until she felt comfortable being on her
feet. Aside from being a little banged
up and recovery from the temperature shock, she appeared to be in good
health. I didn’t want to risk anything,
so we packed our things and I was going to take her home. Rachael protested, and was looking forward to
having smores by the fire up in the mountains as promised earlier. After an extensive, yet moderate debate, she refused to
surrender for the evening so we departed to go have a bonfire.
We made it up to an area overlooking the Kennecott Copper
Mine, and got a fire going as the stars came out. Rachael and I were with my cousin and
friend who were also enjoying the evening.
A warm fire, plenty of stars, ghost stories, and roasted marshmallows! Good times!
Rachael seemed to be in great health, and even got a little cuddly later
in the evening. Around 10 or 11pm we
decided to start heading back. At this
point Rachael noticed her phone had been off the entire time. She turned it on and received several dozen
voicemail notifications. As she listened
to each message, they increased dramatically in severity. Rachael’s roommates were concerned about her
and panic spread when they were not able to get a hold of her. The roommates called her parents, and her
parents left a few panicked voicemails.
From then on there was talk about her roommates contacting the police
and a possible missing persons report. I
overheard a recording of one of her roommates saying, “Ok, I’ve got his Myspace
profile, and we’ve given it to the cops.
Don’t worry Rachael! We’re going
to find you!”
Several phone calls later on the drive back to campus eventually got things straightened out. I could overhear
the anger and hostility of her overly protective roommates. I’m just glad she didn’t go into details
about the near-drowning and hypothermic shock incident. I dropped Rachael off without much incident,
but that was the last date we ever went on. Even though she seemed willing later on, the whole series of events were pretty intense,
especially the whole almost-dying part.
Rachael’s roommates and friends were very influential to her, and were
constantly giving me sneering expressions whenever I’d see them at any church
function. Soon, most of their web of
female social circles avoided eye contact with me or casually whispered behind
my back whenever I was in the same area.
One time I heard, “Yeah, that’s the guy who they called the cops on.” Almost nobody in that church ward would speak other than a few words to me ever again.
Mormon female gossip.
Yet another reason I never responded well to the Utah Mormon
Culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment