Shortly after graduating college, I picked up on a job as a
Field Engineer for a power company. It
was an exciting time of my life. I had
large amounts of time at my disposal, and I no longer had any grave horrific
threats of failing an exam in the near future.
I was finally free to explore life away from the horrible clutches of
school.
It was at this time when I was told I would be getting a
company vehicle, so I went ahead and sold my Suzuki Grand Vitara that was
slowly dying. Unfortunately, there wasn’t
a company car immediately available for me.
My boss regretfully informed me I would need to purchase one. I had very little money, certainly not enough
to purchase a reliable car, and all the banks and loan officers at dealerships
laughed at me. I somehow persuaded my
boss to authorize a rental car for 2 weeks while I went car shopping. I got a simple sedan, but as I went to pick
it up at Salt Lake International Airport, a sporty bright red G6 was recently returned. The guy at Hertz casually asked me if I
wanted the red one, and I agreed in a flash.
I had never had a sporty car before, nor had I ever driven one. I’m not someone who expresses their ego by
the car they drive, but I enjoyed having the obscene horsepower at my
disposal.
It was around this time when I started reentering the social
life after going so long without the ability to be social due to the ridiculous
demands of 18 credits of upper division engineering courses those last two
semesters. I met a girl we’ll refer to
as Natasha at a church picnic in Salt Lake City. She was cute, a little shy, but played a mean
game of Frisbee. I offered her a ride
home, and she accepted. I took full
advantage of testing out the acceleration and turning capabilities of the G6. We had fun, and I asked her out on a
date. For some reason, some scheduling
conflict forced us to push back our date for another time. At this time my cousin was able to obtain an
extra pair of tickets to the Stadium of Fire, featuring the Blue Man
Group. Tickets were sold out minutes
after being open, and were already being sold on Craigslist for obscene amounts
of currency. My cousin suggested I take
Natasha and we’d go as a double date to the concert. Score!
However, good things had to come to an end with the G6, and
my rental expired. I returned it, and
after not being able to find a suitable car in the meantime, I purchased my
cousins “hand-me-down” 1987 Honda Accord that had over 300,000 miles on
it. It ran alright, but looked pretty
hammered and beat up. The speedometer
didn’t work, nor did the AC or power windows, and the hood of the car was being
held down by an elastic cord. I picked
up my cousin and his date in town, and went to pick up Natasha. At this point I was informed that our ticket
into the stadium involved some sort of cooperate promotion and we had to wear
matching T-shirts. Free T-shirt, and
free concert ticket. What’s not to
like?! When I asked more questions, it
sounded like we also needed to sit in some specific location of the stadium
along with others in the same group. Oh
well.
I soon greeted Natasha and her “family”
out near Foothill Drive in Salt Lake. Natasha is from
a Russian background, and was staying at another family’s home during her stay
in Utah. As I gave her the details about
the T-shirt, she didn’t seem all that thrilled, but accepted the shirt without
question. Then she saw my car. Her mood changed instantly to ice cold. A few times she appeared downright
angry.
Conversations with Natasha at this point became
impossible. Between my attempts to talk
to her, and my cousin’s date trying to get a dialogue going, Natasha would
either ignore us, or fire off a single word answer. The drive down to the stadium in Provo was
awkward as the alignment of the Honda oscillated the passengers side to side
gradually. We arrived a little later
than planned due to traffic and other delays, so we were forced to park several
blocks away. When we eventually got to
the stadium, there were a few different lines.
People with our colored T-shirts were instructed to remain in the longest
line. For there we waited for what felt
to be hours. My cousin and his date were
a pleasure to be around, but Natasha remained ice cold and unwilling to
converse. Eventually we could hear the
concert start, and we were still about a hundred yards from the stadium in a
line that wasn’t moving! A squad of F-18’s
buzzed the stadium as the crowd roared in applause. I was excited to see them along with everyone
else, but Natasha suddenly became vocal in expressing her anger that the
concert was starting without us in the stands.
It was out of our control, and I accepted this as part of the cost of
free tickets. In about 15 minutes, we
were finally able to snake our way into the stadium where we took up our seats
out in the field. I thought it was neat
being that close to the performers, but Natasha was under the impression we’d
be in the stands, and grumpily stated her annoyance of this fact as well.
As the performers continued, the quality of music increased,
and so did the energy of the stadium.
People were cheering, laughing, jumping, and having a great time. All except Natasha. She sat down avoiding eye contact, and refusing
to acknowledge my presence entirely.
During one moment of dancing, I bumped into her slightly. Natasha erupted, “STOP TOUCHING ME!” I backed off and gave her considerable
room. Had this been a more quite
setting, that would have been extremely awkward, but luckily I’m not sure many people
around could have heard her outburst. I
tried my best to find out what was pissing her off so much, and asked her if
she wanted to leave or whatever. She
responded in her typical icy silence and eye contact avoidance. That was the last straw. I had it.
I was tired of trying to cater to someone whose intent was to sabotage
such a concert. I ignored Natasha for
the remainder of the concert, and escorted her to the car to drive her
home.
Traffic was awful while trying to
depart Provo. We were creeping along at
a walking pace while my cousin and his date were excitedly talking to each other
in the back seat. Natasha sat up front
with her arms folded, silently looking off into the darkness. Then without warning, Natasha erupted, “PULL
OVER! PULL THE CAR OVER!” I thought there was an emergency,
and I got slightly anxious that I couldn’t immediately due to the density
of traffic. I asked what was wrong, and
she replied, “PULL OVER NOW! LET ME OUT!” I did so when traffic permitted, and she
instantly jumped out of the car and started hastily walking away on the sidewalk. Luckily traffic was moving slowly, so I
could follow her and tried to coax her back in the car. Even my cousin’s date was saying, “Come on
honey, just get in the car please? It’s
dark and cold outside.” Natasha shouted,
“LEAVE ME ALONE!!!”
At this point I was through playing games. I pulled over in front of her and urged her
to get in the car, because I wasn’t going to be responsible for her walking
alone ALL the way back to Salt Lake City, almost an hour’s drive away in the middle of the night! It was downright dangerous and
stupid. Natasha shouted at me again, “LEAVE
ME ALONE, AND DON’T FOLLOW ME! I’LL BE
FINE! GO AWAY!” Then walked around the car, and
off into a random parking lot away from the road we were on. With cars starting to honk behind me, and my
two other passengers in the back obviously distraught, I had no other choice but to keep going
in traffic.
It was a first for me, abandoning my date on some random
road dozens of miles from her house, late at night. I didn’t know what to do. Every effort to get Natasha in my car was met
with hostility. I kept driving. It was silent in my car for several miles. Words couldn’t describe just how awkward and
confused I felt, as well as my two passengers.
Out of the blue, my cousin’s date exclaimed, “WHAT ON EARTH DID YOU DO
TO THAT POOR GIRL!!?” To this I had no
response. I just stammered a bit, and
shook my head. I might have started
laughing a bit because my brain was still in denial that something that absurd
actually happened in real life.
Natasha never answered my texts after that night, which was
somewhat concerning since the contents were just for confirmation that she got
home safe. Thankfully a few days later, I saw her hanging out with some of the same people I originally met her
through. I could finally relax a little,
but still the question remained in my head, what on Earth happened that
night? The solution was explained to me
a while later when talking to someone who had been Natasha’s roommate in the
past.
I explained the events of that evening in detail, including
her hasty departure to her old roommate. When this girl
heard that part, she casually said, “Oh, she did? Well, that makes sense.” My jaw dropped. “How?
How does that make any sense?” The
girl then described the culture that her and her family was raised in. They didn’t have a lot of money, but it was
of the utmost importance that people within the community think that they had a lot
of money. She told me about how Natasha’s
mother who was making minimum wage and working part time, would still wear
expensive fur clothing, and would have her nails done professionally for
several hundred dollars every few weeks. “It is all
about the appearance of wealth, even if you have none.”
It made sense. Her attraction to me with the fancy red G6
sports car, and then the frugal date with free tickets and me driving a beater
of a sedan with 300,000 miles on it.
Natasha couldn’t allow her friends to see her being dropped off in such
a vehicle, and would much rather walk dozens of miles at night to avoid being
seen a moment more in such a shabby appearance.
Some people I’ll never be able to understand. Glad I dodged a bullet on that one. An awkward date is a small price to pay to
avoid that garbage. Plus, it makes for a
fun story to tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment